Circulation Services / Lending
Under this service, books, serials (magazines, journals, newsletters, etc.), thesis dissertations, research papers, etc., are provided to the users.
Students can get textbooks for the whole semester at 30% of the cost of the book price on a first-come-first-served basis from Book Bank.
- General Collection: This collection comprises books related to different courses of academic programs.
- Reference Collection: This collection comprises ready references such as Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Directories, Thesaurus, Handbook, Almanac, Index, etc.
- Institutional Repository: This section comprises institutional repository materials such as Project Reports, Lab Manuals, and UITU Magazines.
- Audio/Visual Collection: This section maintains the records of audio and visual data of books.
This section is comprised of books in recognition of individual's services to education and learning:
- Usman Collection: Mohammad Usman was the eldest son of Haji Hasham, who died on 15-Feb-1973, in the recognition of whom the "Usman Memorial Foundation" and "Usman Institute of Technology" were established. This is the most precious collection of books on economics, politics and literature that were earlier in the personal use of the Late Mohammad Usman.
- Dr Muhammad Waseem Collection:Dr Waseem served UIT as its Director for seven (7) years. This collection is comprised of books on Science donated by him.
- Zubair bin Umer Sidique Collection:Mr Zubair served UIT in the different capacities in Senior Management Positions for thirteen (13) years. This collection is comprised of books on literature donated by him.
- Gifted Collection of Faculty, Alumni and Students:This collection is comprised of books donated by the faculty, alumni and students of UIT and UITU.
Periodicals & Journals
UITU Library subscribes to more than 50 International & Local Journals, including IEEE and ACM, yearly for its users. The latest periodicals are available in the magazine display section for reference and the back issues are kept in the archive section in the form of the bound volume.
Under this service, library users are informed about the new / latest books, materials etc, and their editions.
OPAC / Online Book Reservation
Under this service, a user can reserve the books using Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC). After online reservation, a user can issue the within 24 hours.
Under this service, Library & LRC can arrange e-book and soft copy of journals / articles for its users.
Inter Library Loan Services (ILLS)
Under this service, the library arranges those books and literary resources which are not available to us from other libraries through ILLS. Such arrangements are executed through an agreement or mutual understanding.
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
This is an "alerting service" by which academic departments can seek the Library's assistance in getting information about the latest developments, books, magazines / journals, literature and other literary materials available locally and globally in the specified area of interest.
Current Awareness Services (CAS)
Under this service, Library Current Awareness Service is the dissemination of information that will keep its users well-informed and up-to-date in their fields of primary interest and related subjects. The Current Awareness Service (CAS) helps the user by keeping him up-to-date and well-informed with the latest information on a particular field and the related field. It means what one should read, saving the reader time. It also serves as a rapid survey of retrospective literature. CAS helps the user in the following ways.
This service has been provided to the library users who are looking for necessary assistance in the following:
- Identifying and locating library materials
- Using the catalog
- Using computers to access information
- Using basic reference sources
- Providing physical details, web links, information about the literary materials, and general knowledge from where such materials can be accessed.
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
- Online Book Reservation
- Wifi / Internet
- Network Printing
- Tutorial Room / Resource Centre
- Camera Surveillance
- Section of Personal Belongings
Monday to Friday: 08:30 AM to 05:00 PM
The library will remain closed on Saturdays, Sundays and all Gazette / Public Holidays.
General Rules & Regulations of the Library
It is expected from the library users to comply with following Rules and Regulations:
- Silence: The library is a place for learning with concentration, so 'Silence' is inevitable. All mobile phones, iPods, and other such devices should be kept on silent mode. If any video or audio is to be seen and listened to respectively, then ear phones / pods should be used with Laptops and Digital Tablets.
- Dignity: Library is meant for acquiring knowledge. Therefore, listening music, watching drama and relaxing or sleeping and other such activities must be avoided.
- Personal Belongingness: Library has limited space for self-study, therefore handbags, shoulder bags, briefcases and other such storage carrier are not allowed within the library premises.
- Reservations: The blocking, holding and reserving seats are not allowed in the library.
- Eatable Items: Library is exclusively for study and learning. Therefore, it is barred for all types of eating, drinking, and chewing.
- Physical Resources: The library is equipped with expensive furniture, fixtures, equipment, books, etc, and it is the responsibility of the user to use it with extensive care. In case, anyone is found attempting to damage and / or steal library physical resources, then necessary disciplinary proceedings may be initiated against the offender.
- Non-compliance: In case of disregarding any of the Rules and Regulations and otherwise causing a disturbance or affecting the Library's congenial environment then the user may immediately be asked to vacate the library premises.
- Phone: +92 21 3499 4305, Ext: 3041
- Email: [email protected], [email protected]
- Address: ST-13, Block 7, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Abul Hasan Isphahani Road, Off Main University Road, Karachi -75300, Pakistan.
- Map Location: https://goo.gl/maps/9T6SKps5C81sMv5dA
- URL: www.uitu.edu.pk
- Library Officials We are welcome to our users query and feel happy to help them out in their studies, please feel free to contact us in the following way.